From John Denver <tenanc...@yahoo.com>
Subject Question on Functional Testing in Cactus
Date Fri, 09 Aug 2002 07:32:15 GMT
   The problem that we're having with our EJB
functional testing is that you need to *set* the
status of the entity beans before a full use case can
be tested against a session bean.

   Presently, everytime we test a use case or set of
use cases, we upload related data to the database so
that we can capture the state of the related entity
beans before running the session bean(s) of the use
case(s).  This means to say that whenever we do a
regression testing and we have 50 use cases, we need
to upload different sets of data approx 50 times and
run the session beans in between uploads.  Not very
smooth.

   Second alternative solution I can think of is to
create a god dataset so that there will only have one
upload and one run. But the problem is its difficult
and time consuming to design a god data that is
*valid* to all use case and future use cases for
future features.

   Third alternative solution I can think of is to set
the individual data programatically within the test
script.  These solutions in my opinion is equally time
consuming if we need to set several rows spanning
several tables with several fields that's why we
preferred data upload.

   I believe that this is not only applicable to EJB
but to all functional testing that uses object states.
 How do you guys do this and what's the best way to do
this, such that ideally we can test all the use cases
in just one run (and probably only one upload) similar
to test suite of unit testing.  My understanding is
Cactus focus on Functional *Unit* Testing and not the
standard Functional Testing.  If my assumption is
incorrect, how do you effectively set the status of
the entity beans/units that composed of large data set
so that a full use case can be simulated and tested?

Thanks in advance.

John