From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@octo.com>
Subject RE: HTTPS
Date Sat, 31 Aug 2002 18:37:05 GMT
Hi Michael,

Yes, it is a possibility. Actually it shouldn't be too hard to support.
I'm less sure about the benefits. My reasons are:

- HTTPS is supposed to be completely transparent from the point of view
of the application which shouldn't care if HTTP or HTTPS was used. HTTP
is more a deployment choice I think. BTW, I don't recall any API in the
Servlet spec related to HTTPS (and I don't think it should).

- Using HTTPS would require additional jars to be put on the client side
classpath. It would also require additional setup on the server side
(certificates, config, etc) to support it.

- The only thing it would buy us would be to ensure that HTTPs is set up
correctly in the application configuration (as opposed to the code). ATM
Cactus is mostly concerned to test the code - although it also tests its
interaction with the container. HTTPS would purely test container set up
and not the code (unless I am mistaken somewhere ...).

Do you have any specific use case in mind ?

Thanks
-Vincent