From Oren Gross <ogr...@mercury.co.il>
Subject RE: cacus-12 issues
Date Thu, 04 Jul 2002 13:18:52 GMT
Hello Vincent, thanks for the reply
If I run my MasterProject with org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat (via my
IDE), than I actually did what you specify in steps 1 to 3. Isn't that
right?
Having my Junit based test application MasterProjectTest, with the cactus
based classes, (public class TestFoo extends CactusStrutsTestCase ) running
via my IDE, runs the Junit GUI, as you specify in step 4.
So, I don't see the difference.
Oren
Oren Gross Java(TM) Developer
Mercury Interactive APM TAC R&D
+972-3-5399407 ogross@mercury.co.il

-----Original Message-----
From: Vincent Massol [mailto:vmassol@octo.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2002 1:57 PM
To: 'Cactus Users List'
Subject: RE: cacus-12 issues

Hi Oren

I think you're missing some basics on how Cactus works. Please have a
look at the "How it works" page on the web site.

Cactus is first a framework, i.e. a jar.

It seems what you want to do is unit test a web application. Thus you
need to package your application to include the cactus jars and your
test classes, as is described in "Getting Started" on the web site. This
basically means having a proper web.xml and making sure that you test
classes can "see" the cactus jars and the code to test (i.e. its
classloader can load them). If you don't want to understand classloader
I would suggest you package you webapp as a WAR.

So to summarise:

Step 1 : package your application

Step 2 : deploy it. If it is a war, it is a simple as dropping it into
tomcat/webapps. Note: You can actually configure your tomcat install so
that its webapp directory points to where your project is located on
your disk

Step 3 : Start the application server. You can start it from your ide
calling its main class or using the IDE predefined target. You can
configure Tomcat to run on a given port by modifying its server.xml file
(default is 8080).

Step 4 : Run the test by running a JUnit TestRunner. Again you can start
that from your IDE. You need to have cactus.properties in your classpath
and make it point to the correct URL (i.e. correct port + correct webapp
name).

These steps are quite generic and work with any IDE (including
JBuilder).

-Vincent