From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@octo.com>
Subject RE: using log4J with JBoss and Cactus
Date Fri, 26 Jul 2002 20:41:41 GMT
Hi Paul,

With Cactus 1.3, you have to provide a cactus_client.properties and
cactus_server.properties files. You cannot use an XML one as Cactus is
not using Log4J DOMConfigurator.

The config files that are driving are Cactus ones (as the test are under
the control of Cactus). Thus you need to add your appenders to the
Cactus properties files.

The Cactus files are empty because Cactus only logs statements in DEBUG
mode (and by default the level is WARN in cactus_client and
cactus_server.properties).

That said, we have changed this mechanism in Cactus 1.4 (not release yet
but available from CVS and nightly builds). Cactus is now using Jakarta
Commons Logging and is completely log system agnostic, including for
configurations. So you could simply drop your log4j.xml in your
classpath, adding the cactus categories if you wish.

Thanks
-Vincent

JBoss,
> Cactus and my program are all using log4J... Here is how it is written
so
> far: I followed your recommandations and so I adapted the log4j.xml of
> JBoss
> and inserted my own appenders and loggers as shown in appendix.
>
> Now, Cactus also is using log4J and needs 2 configuration files,
> log_client.properties and log_server.properties .
log_client.properties is
> described in the appendix too.
>
> With this setup, here is what i get:
>
> 	* 2 empty logfiles cactus_client.log and cactus_server.log even
> though the
> code requires some 	events to be written in them. At least, it seems
> it
> reads correctly the configuration files 	from Cactus.
>
> 	* an appender error that should not have happened if the
appenders i
> had
> put in the 	configuration file of JBoss, log4J.xml, had been taken
in
> account:
> 	"------------ Standard Error -----------------
> 	log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger
> (com.credm.babel.cactus.TestPropertyType).
> 	log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
> 	------------- ---------------- ---------------"
>
> 	* No files are created for the CACTUSTEST appender..
>
> I'm a bit lost to be honest between all this, so if you could help me
> would greatly appreciate it.. I'm not sure but I think there could be
some
> issues with log4J's JBoss and log4J's war file being in different
> classloaders...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Paul
>
> ==========
> log4j.xml:
> ==========
>
> <log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/"
> debug="true">
> 	<!-- ================================= -->
> 	<!-- Preserve messages in a local file -->
> 	<!-- ================================= -->
> 	<!-- A time/date based rolling appender -->
> 	<appender name="FILE"
> class="org.jboss.logging.appender.DailyRollingFileAppender">
> 		<param name="File"
> value="${jboss.server.home.dir}/log/server.log"/>
> 		<param name="Append" value="false"/>
> 		<param name="DatePattern" value="'.'yyyy-MM-dd"/>
> 		<layout class="org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout">
> 			<!-- The default pattern: Date Priority
[Category]
> Message\n -->
> 			<param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d %-5p
[%c]
> %m%n"/>
> 		</layout>
> 	</appender>
>
> 	<!-- ============================== -->
> 	<!-- Append messages to the console -->
> 	<!-- ============================== -->
> 	<appender name="CONSOLE"
class="org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender">
> 		<param name="Threshold" value="INFO"/>
> 		<param name="Target"
> value="${jboss.server.home.dir}/log/system.out"/>
> 		<layout class="org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout">
> 			<!-- The default pattern: Date Priority
[Category]
> Message\n -->
> 			<param name="ConversionPattern"
value="%d{ABSOLUTE} %-5p
> [%c{1}] %m%n"/>
> 		</layout>
>
> 	<!-- ============================== -->
> 	<!-- My appenders				-->
> 	<appender name="CACTUSTEST"
class="org.apache.log4j.FileAppender">
> 		<param name="File"
> value="${jboss.server.home.dir}/log/cactusTest.log"/>
> 		<!--param name="threshold" value="INFO"/-->
> 		<layout class="org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout">
> 			<param name="ConversionPattern"
value="=(%-35c{2} %-4L)