From "Peter.Hughes" <Peter.Hu...@upco.co.uk>
Subject RE: Cactus - request.getRequestDispatcher()
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2002 13:47:24 GMT
Hi Vincent

Thanks for taking the time to help with my problem.

I seem to have resolved it.  When you asked Question 2  "Are you using the
WebRequest.setURL() API. If so, can you send us what you use?"  I thought,
"No I'm not.  Perhaps I should be."

When I tried this the problem no longer occurred.

So thanks for your intuitive insight.

Cheers, beers and Tears for Fears

Peter Hughes <mailto:BigPeteH@yahoo.co.uk>

-----Original Message-----
From: Vincent Massol [mailto:vmassol@octo.com]
Sent: 14 June 2002 22:07
To: 'Cactus Users List'
Cc: 'Peter.Hughes'
Subject: RE: Cactus - request.getRequestDispatcher()

Hi Peter,

The servlet spec says : "

getRequestDispatcher(String)
public RequestDispatcher getRequestDispatcher(java.lang.String path)
Returns a RequestDispatcher object that acts as a wrapper for the resource
located at the given path.
A RequestDispatcher object can be used to forward a request to the resource
or to include the
resource in a response. The resource can be dynamic or static.
The pathname specified may be relative, although it cannot extend outside
the current servlet context. If the
path begins with a "/" it is interpreted as relative to the current context
root. This method returns null if
the servlet container cannot return a RequestDispatcher.
The difference between this method and getRequestDispatcher(String) is that
this method can
take a relative path.
Parameters:
path - a String specifying the pathname to the resource
Returns: a RequestDispatcher object that acts as a wrapper for the resource
at the specified path
See Also: RequestDispatcher, getRequestDispatcher(String)

"

and thus returning null is perfectly allowed. Thus either your container
returns null or there is a bug with Cactus ... :-)

1/ Which version of Cactus are you using ?
2/ Are you using the WebRequest.setURL() API. If so, can you send us what
you use?
3/ Can you enable Cactus logging (see the configuration howto guide on the
web site), look for "Computed full path : [ ... ]" and give us the path that
is output. Please also give us the "Using simulated PathInfo : [ ...]" (if
any) found just above the previous log and same for "Using simulated servlet
path : [ ...]" (if any).

Thanks
-Vincent