From "Michael Mattern" <mmatt...@web.de>
Subject Re: Cactus and BroadVision 6.0?
Date Sun, 30 Jun 2002 18:32:37 GMT
Hi Vincent,

I've let JAD loose on some of the BV classes, and what I've found is this:

BVHttpSession.isNew() will return true if the session is valid (this is
stored in an attribute) and the parameter "com.broadvision.session.new" does
not occur in the request string. BVHttpSession implements the regular
javax.servlet.http.HttpSession interface. BVHttpSession serves as a facade
for the real BV session, which is a BVI_Session (this is actually a wrapper
around an underlying C++ class...). BVHttpSession has two constructors, one
of which takes no arguments and just sets the session to be valid, and one
which takes a BVI_Session and uses this to initialize its arguments. There's
also an init(long) method, which takes a handle to look up a session in a
registry, and which will initialize a new BVI_Session if this handle is 0L.
So far, so good...
I'm pretty new to servlet engines, so please excuse this question: Who
usually initializes the HttpSession? I'm asking this because my assumption
is that the Cactus ServletRedirector somehow prevents BV from setting up the
session correctly.
The second thing I still don't know is: Who puts the
"com.broadvision.session.new" parameter into the query string? My guess
after JAD has done its job is that it happens deep inside BV and not within
the servlet engine. Whatever object does this seems to signal that no BV
session has been set up for the current HTTP connection. Unfortunately,
there is no documentation about all this (otherwise, JAD wouldn't have been
necessary in the first place...).

I guess that you have become familiar with a great many different servlet
engines and their specifics, so: What would you advice me to do? Where
should I look next? Is there any information I can provide you with so that
you can tell me why Cactus isn't working with BV and what can be done about
it?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Michael