From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@octo.com>
Subject RE: Cactus and BroadVision 6.0?
Date Sun, 30 Jun 2002 19:43:30 GMT
Hi Michael,

"com.broadvision.session.new"
> does
> not occur in the request string. BVHttpSession implements the regular
> javax.servlet.http.HttpSession interface. BVHttpSession serves as a
facade
> for the real BV session, which is a BVI_Session (this is actually a
> wrapper
> around an underlying C++ class...). BVHttpSession has two
constructors,
> one
> of which takes no arguments and just sets the session to be valid, and
one
> which takes a BVI_Session and uses this to initialize its arguments.
> There's
> also an init(long) method, which takes a handle to look up a session
in a
> registry, and which will initialize a new BVI_Session if this handle
is
> 0L.
> So far, so good...
> I'm pretty new to servlet engines, so please excuse this question: Who
> usually initializes the HttpSession? I'm asking this because my
assumption
> is that the Cactus ServletRedirector somehow prevents BV from setting
up
> the
> session correctly.

I don't really understand what is your problem. You have a servlet
container (Broadvision) which implements the Servlet API, right ? Thus,
from the point of view of your servlet code, there should be no
difference whether your servlet is run in Tomcat or in Broadvision.

To answer your question, it is your servlet code that initially creates
the HttpSession. The Servlet API has a
HttpServletRequest.getSession(boolean) API. If the boolean is true and a
session does not already exist, then a new session will be created by
the container and returned by getSession. The container knows a session
already exist by getting the session id from a cookie in the HTTP
request (or from a URL parameter, that's called URL rewriting). The
servlet API says that the cookie is named jsessionid (the value
associated with the cookie is unique), so the the container will look
for that cookie. If it finds it, it will then look in its hashtable of
session for a matching HttpSession object.

The ServletRedirector will call getSession(true) by default, thus
letting the BV container creates an HttpSession.

> The second thing I still don't know is: Who puts the
> "com.broadvision.session.new" parameter into the query string? My
guess
> after JAD has done its job is that it happens deep inside BV and not
> within
> the servlet engine.

Look at the source of the HTML pages returned by BV. Do you see this
parameter being passed whenever there is a link ? When you write a JSP,
do you use a special API to create links ?

BV cannot put that parameter alone. You, as the Servlet/JSP writer is
either putting it or not putting it.

> Whatever object does this seems to signal that no BV
> session has been set up for the current HTTP connection.
Unfortunately,
> there is no documentation about all this (otherwise, JAD wouldn't have
> been
> necessary in the first place...).
>
> I guess that you have become familiar with a great many different
servlet
> engines and their specifics, so: What would you advice me to do? Where
> should I look next? Is there any information I can provide you with so
> that
> you can tell me why Cactus isn't working with BV and what can be done
> about
> it?

Yes. You have not told us what error you were getting and for what test
from sample-servlet. Can you post the stack trace ? (both client side
and server side).

Thanks
-Vincent