From "Brekke, Jeff" <Jeff.Bre...@qg.com>
Subject RE: Neat Tomcat Integration + proposal for CactusServletTestRunne r
Date Mon, 13 May 2002 00:37:37 GMT
Sounds really interesting.  I've been thinking of different ways to setup
Maven's integration unit testing target to handle not only cactus tests but
other integration unit tests that may not require a servlet container.  This
is a very nice solution to removing the cactus specific stuff from the
project.  Maybe a easy way to allow this would be a small installation jar
and target that a cactus user could use to 'cactus-ify' their installation
of tomcat.

On an aside, it would be interesting if we could find a way to use the ant
build scripts to test our projects directly from cactus without having to
integrate them into our projects build scripts ( or maybe this is now
possible? ).

Jeffrey D. Brekke                                   Quad/Graphics
Jeff.Brekke@qg.com                              http://www.qg.com

_of_test_c
lass

That would execute the Cactus tests (including beginXXX and endXXX in
the Server JVM) and display the result as HTML or XML (Note: I actually
prefer XML and drop an XSL stylesheet to automatically transform it in
HTML if need be).

Cactus would thus provide 2 solutions to kick start its tests :
- the normal way, i.e. through any existing JUnit Test Runner and thus
through any existing JUnit tool, including IDE JUnit integration plugins
- through the CactusServletTestRunner

Once this is done, I think we have a winner (can't be easier for someone
wanting to write servlet API unit tests !) and can start lobbying the
Tomcat team to bundle Cactus in their distribution.

What do you think ?

Thanks
-Vincent