From "Sheldon Wosnick" <sheldon_wosn...@hotmail.com>
Subject Question about the Cactus architectur
Date Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:57:17 GMT
I have Cactus basically running (not elegantly by any means, but running
nevertheless between a client VM and the J2EE web container VM, which is the
point...) but I am still unclear on the architecture about where the
duplication in classes go between the client and the server.

I am trying to understand the sample application packaged with v1.3 but
unsure just what goes into WEB-INF\classes in my WAR module and what goes on
the client side as well. I understand the runtime/classpath side fine, just
not what I gather is the emulation of a single instance but really where
both the client and the server load the classes (?). Should I simply assume
that the identical packages of testcase classes go on BOTH?

If anyone on this list has a moment, and knows the answer, it would help if
you could:

1. Point me somewhere where it is clear what testcase classes go on the
server side, which on the client side for say the example application.

2. Point me to other sample applications, ready made with the same
instructions.

3. Point me to/provide a separate attachment etc. of a WAR for the webapp
side and a JAR for the client side (no runtime included, just the testcases
and JUnit extensions) which demonstrates all that.

4. Point me to somewhere/someone else who could help.

So, again, I have the runtime/classpath and container classpath issues under
my belt -- and understand why each web module needs its own copy of the key
jar files rather than making them globally available on the container's
global path, but feel clumsy having the same packages on both the client and
the server and noticing duplicate classes in the sample src distribution for
Cactus 1.3 which I recently downloaded. I was not able to glean this
information from the Cactus documentation though it was helpful in the
overall setup and understanding of the basic concepts.