From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@octo.com>
Subject RE: Question about the Cactus architectur
Date Tue, 30 Apr 2002 19:59:32 GMT
Hi Sheldon,

That's already real cool :-)

> I am trying to understand the sample application packaged with v1.3
but
> unsure just what goes into WEB-INF\classes in my WAR module and what
goes
> on
> the client side as well. I understand the runtime/classpath side fine,
> just
> not what I gather is the emulation of a single instance but really
where
> both the client and the server load the classes (?). Should I simply
> assume
> that the identical packages of testcase classes go on BOTH?
>
> If anyone on this list has a moment, and knows the answer, it would
help
> if
> you could:
>
> 1. Point me somewhere where it is clear what testcase classes go on
the
> server side, which on the client side for say the example application.

Ok. Have a look at http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/how_it_works.html.

The main thing to understand is that beginXXX() and endXXX() are
executed on the client side and thus, the test cases classes must be on
the client side classpath. The testXXX() methods are executed on the
server side and thus must be in your WAR classpath (WEB-INF/classes).

You can also have a look at the CLASSPATH tutorial which explains in
detail the classapth on the client side and on the server side :
http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/howto_classpath.html

> 2. Point me to other sample applications, ready made with the same
> instructions.

Not sure what you mean here. The cactus distribution comes with a fully
functionning sample application in sample/ directory.

> 3. Point me to/provide a separate attachment etc. of a WAR for the
webapp
> side and a JAR for the client side (no runtime included, just the
> testcases
> and JUnit extensions) which demonstrates all that.

They are there in the cactus sample application. Please read the Sample
tutorial for how to run the sample :
http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/howto_sample.html

> 4. Point me to somewhere/someone else who could help.

This is the right place ! :-)

> So, again, I have the runtime/classpath and container classpath issues
> under
> my belt -- and understand why each web module needs its own copy of
the
> key
> jar files rather than making them globally available on the
container's
> global path, but feel clumsy having the same packages on both the
client
> and
> the server and noticing duplicate classes in the sample src
distribution
> for
> Cactus 1.3 which I recently downloaded.

There are not duplicate classes. Which ones do you mean ?

> I was not able to glean this
> information from the Cactus documentation though it was helpful in the
> overall setup and understanding of the basic concepts.

That's really interesting. In order to "certify" Cactus on a container
you'll need to run successfully the full Cactus sample application on
that container. Thus you should try to run the sample application.

Thanks for your participation. Much appreciated ! Feel free to ask any
question, as often as like. However, I'd like to ask you if you could
post to the mailing list as the questions and answers will definitely be
helpful for others.

Thanks
-Vincent