From "Matt Raible" <m...@raibledesigns.com>
Subject RE: JunitPP for ServletTestCase?
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2002 14:41:49 GMT
I realize this, and this is what I'm doing in the meantime.  JunitPP
gives me the ability to either (1) name my properties file the same name
as the class and it will be found automatically, OR (2) pass in a
argument to a file that contains keys:

<junit...>
<jvmarg value="-Djunit.conf=./src/onpoint/PersistenceTestValues.ini"/>
</junit>

JunitPP also has functionality to retrieve the data from a RDBMS to use
as test values (I haven't used this yet).  Below is the documentation on
the loading of properties files with ConfigurableTestCase.  Is it
possible to do this with Cactus - using ResourceBundles and Arguments?

How is the properties file found when an instance of
ConfigurableTestCase is executed? It is assumed that the property file
has the same name as the class file but a different extension, i.e. the
property file for the FooTest.class would be named FooTest.conf. The
property file is either looked up in the current directory or in the
list of directories defined in the classpath variable.
In some projects this approach might not work (e.g. using a single
property file for all test suites) therefore the system property
'junit.conf'  either defines a property file or a starting directory for
the search.
java -Djunit.conf=MyFooTest.conf junit.swingui.TestRunner FooTest
java -Djunit.conf=./test/data junit.swingui.TestRunner FooTest
Figure 3 - Specifying a test data repository
How is an entry in the property file defined? To access the test data
repository the class name, the name of the test case and the property
name are concatenated to generate the key in the following order:
.	fully qualified class name + test name + property name
.	class name without package name + test name + property name
.	class name without package name + property name
.	property name

This implementation allows the reuse of test data definitions shared by
one or more test suites, e.g. the name of the sever used for testing a
client/server application with multiple test suites.
# FooTest.conf

foo.FooTest.testFoo.key1=XYZ
FooTest.testFoo.key2=true
FooTest.key3=9999
Key4=3.1415927
Figure 4 - Content of a test data repository
In the case of a master test suite the corresponding property file
contains references to the property files of the contained test suites,
which are loaded recursively.