From Franck Rasolo <fras...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Testing EJB implementing EJBLocalObject interface with Cactus
Date Wed, 27 Mar 2002 18:29:04 GMT
Well, my take is that the spec authors simply weren't clear enough when
defining local clients. From what we've got so far, it sounds like any two
components in the same VM are local to each other. To me, this is a bit odd,
since we've also got the concept of enterprise archives, which is a rather
crisp aggregation of application components. In an EAR, it makes sense that
all components (web/ejb) are local to each other. The very fact that we're
still unclear about this particular issue indicates that we're likely to come
across different interpretations/implementations from application server
vendors too.

To stretch this a bit further, even if the above worked for two components
in a same EAR, I would be surprised if two components from two different
EAR's deployed in the same VM were able to "see" one another across application
servers. This lack of clarity can only end in tears as far as portability is
concerned.

Cheers,

Franck Rasolo
Independent Consultant