From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@octo.com>
Subject RE: Installation Problems
Date Wed, 27 Mar 2002 07:09:01 GMT
Chad,

It seems you're missing a complete part of the Servlet spec, which is
the notion of WebApp. It is the way to package an application and is the
common and standard way of deploying an application. I would suggest you
do some reading (just download the servlet spec for example or find a
tutorial on javaworld) and then if you still have some additional
questions, come back here, and we will answer then with pleasure.

See some comments inline below.

webapps are put in tomcat_home/webapps under Tomcat

> 2.) Is the Web.xml file need to appeneded with what I find in the
> documentation, or do I need to replace it. Also are u talking about
xml
> file in \tomcat\webapps\examples\WEB-INF\web.xml. I want to test only
> servlet programs, do I need to bother about filters and JSP part in
xml
> file or can I not put that in xml file

this belongs to your webapp (see servlet spec).

> 3.) The documentation says "if the webapp is called mywebapp then URL
in
> cactus.properties should be
>
> http://localhost:8080/mywebapp/ServletRedirector" What do u mean by
webapp
> actually.

I mean the webapp context (which is usually the name of the webapp war
file).

> I want to test my servlet, is it the webapp or do we need to
> create any folder called webapp? If so where do we need to put that
>
> 4.) Do I need to write explicit setUp() and tearDown() methods in the
> testclass.

setUp() and teardown() work in the same way as for JUnit except that
they are executed on the server side.

> Please reply as soon as possible
>
> cheers
>
> chad