From "Volkmann, Mark" <Mark.Volkm...@AGEDWARDS.com>
Subject RE: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/cactus/ServletTest Case
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 14:12:14 GMT
We did resolve the problem, but the solution isn't pretty. We had to patch
Cactus to get it to work. I've attached a class we added. We replaced all
calls to Class.forName in the Cactus source with calls to
ClassLoaderHelper.forName. This allows classes in your web app., such as
your unit test code, to find classes in your server classpath, such as
Cactus and Log4J classes. We think the problem has something to do with
using Log4J in our application. We put log4j.jar in our server classpath and
this seems to be a problem for Cactus without the patch. I've also attached
our custom cactus.jar file that contains these changes.

All you need to do to try it is put all the JARs cactus needs
(aspectjrt.jar, cactus.jar, httpunit.jar, junit.jar and log4j.jar) in your
server classpath instead of your web app. Another advantage to this approach
is that you don't have to include all those JARs in every web application.
That's a big plus for us because we are testing around 20 web apps. Perhaps
this change should become part of the normal Cactus codebase!

If this is a bad idea, I'd like to hear why.

 <<ClassLoaderHelper.java>>  <<cactus.jar>>

WARNING:  All e-mail sent to and from this address will be received or
someone other than the recipient.