From Phillips Nathan <nphill...@pointserve.com>
Subject New Authentication feature doesn't appear to work correctly.
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 21:50:14 GMT
I've been able to get the Basic Security authentication feature in the
Cactus example to work with my Security Realm.  However, I've not been able
to actually apply it to my own secured servlets.  Only the
ServletTestRedirector.  I've ran into two major problems which appear to be
with Cactus.

1) I am unable to get the example to run with any other servlet than the
ServletTestRedirector when secured.

This works:
    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>FrontController</servlet-name>

<servlet-class>org.apache.cactus.server.ServletTestRedirector</servlet-class

        <security-role-ref>
            <role-name>my_user</role-name>
            <role-link>my_user</role-link>
        </security-role-ref>
    </servlet>

but when I use one of my own protected servlets as in:
        <servlet-class>com.somewhere.MyServlet</servlet-class>
it does not.

2)  If the url-pattern name does not match the servlet name, then Cactus
doesn't work.

This works:
    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>FrontController</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/FrontController/*</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

This does not:
    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>FrontController</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/servlet/*</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

Of course the <security-constraint> tags have been altered to reflect each
test correctly.  Am I misunderstanding how to use the security feature in
Cactus or are these problems?  Thanks for your help.

Error message in both cases:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.apache.cactus.client.AbstractHttpClient.doTest$ajcPostAround10