From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@octo.com>
Subject RE: deploying and testing with Ant?
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2002 21:34:23 GMT
Kaarle,

No, although I would highly recommend to have WL installed on
developer's machines (instead of sharing a single server instance
somewhere on the network).

> I would mostly do my development and builds in my Windows
> workstation. My server would then be either using Tomcat on a
> separete linux server or weblogic 6.1 on a sun server.
>
> The question is: can you deploy with ant into a remote
> server and still test it with cactus there?

Yes, you'll need to copy the war/ear file (containing the Cactus test
cases and your classes under test) to the remote machine. Several
possibilities :
1/ shared drive (and thus the Ant copy task)
2/ FTP (Ant ftp task)
3/ execute scp, rsh, etc from Ant (using exec)

Then you'll need to start WL remotely. Either telnet, ssh to you startup
script or JMX or use a local admin server that starts a managed server
or ...

> What happens if
> the tests failed? Should the build then reverse the deplyment on the
> server?

Not sure I understand. Why would you want to reverse the build ? You
don't mean this server is used both for development and production, do

> What if the server needs to be stopped/started before testing?

Then you stop and restart it with one of the method above-mentionned.

> At least weblogic 5.1 required that!

Yep.

> regards
> Kaarle