From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@octo.com>
Subject RE: Best way to run Cactus in an IDE (WAS RE: Using Cactus to test EJB deployed to Weblogic6.1)
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2002 00:00:31 GMT
Hi Sean,

1. It is Client side. It is your development directory structure. But it
is also the weblogic directory structure. The idea is that if you point
weblogic to it and start it, whenever you make a change to your code and
compile, it is automatically reloaded by weblogic and thus you don't
need to restart WL. You simply need to start your junit test runner.
2. No. See point 1.
3. Yes (have a look at the existing Cactus Ant script for WL. You'll see
what I mean).
4. You start the JUnit test runner of your choice. It happens that the
ConvertTest class has a main method which starts a JUnit test runner.

Hope it is more clear ;-)
-Vincent

directory
> other than
> 		the default).
>
> 		A - Setup
> 		-----------
>
> 		1/ Have the following kind of directory structure :
>
> 		myproject
> 		 |_ src
> 		 |_ output
> 		   |_config
> 		     |_ mydomain
> 		       |_ applications
> 		         |_ mywebapp
> 		            |_ WEB-INF
> 		              |_ classes
> 		              |_ web.xml
> 		              |_ lib
> 		       |_ config.xml
> 		       |_ SerializedsystemIni.dat
> 		       |_ fileRealm.properties
>
> 		2/ In your IDE, set the output classes directory to be
>
> myproject/output/config/mydomain/applications/mywebapp/WEB-INF/classes
>
> 		3/ Ensure that you have the cactus redirectors defined
in
> web.xml
>
> 		4/ Copy cactus.properties to
>
> myproject/output/config/mydomain/applications/mywebapp/WEB-INF/classes
>
> 		5/ Ensure that you have cactus.jar, junit.jar,
> commons-httpclient.jar
> 		(and optionally log4j.jar) in
>
> myproject/output/config/mydomain/applications/mywebapp/WEB-INF/lib
>
> 		6/ Create an entry in your IDE to start weblogic, using
the
> following
> 		parameters :
>
> 		class name : weblogic.Server
> 		class path : weblogic_sp.jar (if it exists) and
weblogic.jar

> 		jvm arguments :
>
> 		"-hotspot"
> 		"-ms64m"
> 		"-mx64m"
> 		"-Djava.library.path=<bea home>/wlserver6.1/bin"
> 		"-Dweblogic.RootDirectory=myproject/output"
> 		"-Dweblogic.Domain=mydomain"
> 		"-Dweblogic.Name=testserver" (name defined in your WL
> config.xml file)
> 		"-Dbea.home=<bea home>"
> 		"-Dweblogic.management.password=<your password>"
> 		"-Djava.security.policy==./lib/weblogic.policy"
>
> 		B- Running a test
> 		------------------
>
> 		1/ Start weblogic from the defined entry above (in step
> A-6). You only
> 		need to do this once and do not need to repeat it for
each
> test.
> 		Modified classes should be reloaded automatically. If
your
> IDE does not
> 		support this, you may have to start weblogic manually
> beforehand, using
> 		a script for example.
>
> 		*WARNING* : Make sure that your IDE does not prepend
your
> output classes
> 		directory to the classpath being used to start weblogic.
> Otherwisem your
> 		classes will be loaded using the system classloader and
> won't be
> 		reloadable, which means you would have to repeat this
step
> for each test
> 		run.
>
> 		2/ Choose a test case class with a main method and run
it.
> Normally your
> 		IDE will prepend to the classpath the output classes
> directory. Normally
> 		you would also have included the cactus.jar, junit.jar,
> 		commons-httpclient.jar  in your project classpath (to
> compile the
> 		project), thus they would also be added. As you put
> cactus.properties in
> 		WEB-INF/classes (i.e. in your class output directory)
the
> client part of
> 		cactus will find it. Configure cactus.properties to
point to
> 		http://localhost:<port used in
> config.xml>/mywebapp/ServletRedirector
>
> 		3/ Try modifying the test class or a class under test
and
> rerun it
> 		without stopping weblogic. The changes should be picked
up.

> 		C- Conclusion
> 		-------------
>
> 		I'm writing this from memory so I may be forgetting
stuff.
> Tell me if it
> 		works. I'll try it when I have some time ... If you tell
me
> it works,
> 		I'll put these instructions on the cactus web site.
>
> 		Thanks
> 		-Vincent

run
> my test in
> 		> Jbuilder to test EJBs deployed on Weblogic.  Please
help
> with
> 		following
> 		> questions:
> 		>
> 		> 1.	I edited cactus.properties like following
> 		> 	Cactus.servletRedirectorURL =
> 		> http://localhost:7001/ServletRedirector/  (assuming I
> deploy EJBs
> 		classes
> 		> classes directory under default app)  Is this correct?
> 		> 2.	Do I need to copy cactus.jar, junit.jar to lib
> directory under
> 		the
> 		> Web-inf under DefaultWebApp?  Another other jar files
need
> to be moved
> 		> there?
> 		> 3.	I also edited web.xml file in Web-inf directory
on
> Weblogic to
> 		add
> 		> the redirector mapping.
> 		>
> 		> Any other configuration I need to modify?
> 		>
> 		> Thanks,
> 		>
> 		> Sean
> 		>
PM
> 		> 		To:	'Cactus Users List'
> 		> 		Subject:	RE: Using Cactus to test
EJB
> deployed to
> 		> Weblogic6.1
> 		>
> 		> 		I know that this message is addressed to
> David but maybe
> 		> can still
> 		> 		help a bit ... :-)
> 		>
at
> Dallas
> 		(former
> 		> GTE).  Are
> 		> 		you
> 		> 		> working at Verizon as well?
> 		> 		>
> 		> 		> Do you think Cactus is a good testing
tool
> for EJBs?
> 		>
> 		> 		Yes, for unit testing EJBs. No for
> stress/load testing.
> 		>
> 		> 		> Can Cactus be used
> 		> 		> test regular beans deployed to
Weblogic as
> well?
> 		>
> 		> 		yes
> 		>
> 		> 		> Does it use the same way
> 		> 		> to test regular beans as EJBs?
> 		>
> 		> 		Yes
> 		>
> 		> 		> Sorry that I throw a lot of questions.
> 		> 		> I'm
> 		> 		> new to this.
> 		> 		>
> 		> 		> By the way, have you set up Cactus
with
> your IDE?
> 		> (specifically
> 		> 		Jbuilder5
> 		> 		> which we are using now)
> 		>
> 		> 		I did set it up with JBuilder4 but
haven't
> tried it with
> 		> JBuilder5 nor 6
> 		> 		yet (although I don't see why it would
be a
Message-----
> 		> 		> 		From:	David L. Wasler
> 		> [mailto:dwasler@yahoo.com]