From "Warner Onstine" <war...@warneronstine.com>
Subject Re: Cactus testing with a framework such as Turbine
Date Mon, 24 Dec 2001 02:06:07 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vincent Massol" <vmassol@octo.com>
To: "'Cactus Users List'" <cactus-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2001 12:56 AM
Subject: RE: Cactus testing with a framework such as Turbine

> Hi Warner,
>
> I have never used Turbine so I probably won't be of good help ... I can
> explain the principle but I don't know if it is easy to apply or not.
> The idea is that you look at the method you want to test and find out
> what you need to initialize beforehand. The format is :
>
> <inits>
>
> MyClassToTest object = new MyClassToTest();
> Object.methodToTest(...);
>
> <asserts>
>
> Thus, if in methodToTest() you need a Context object, you'll need to
> create one in the <inits> section. Cactus will be able to provide the
> standard Servlet API objects to your code (HttpServletRequest, ...) so
> you don't have to create these, you can use them directly. However,
> Cactus does not provide any Turbine or Velocity objects so you'll need
> to find a way to create them yourself.
>
> Basically there are 2 strategies :
> - create mock implementations of them,
> - instantiate real objects
>
> The idea of Cactus is to provide integration unit test, so it is better
> if you succeed in instantiating the real objects. If you go on the mock
> objects route (www.mockobjects.com), you'll have to decide whether you
> still want to use Cactus or simply use JUnit and use the mock servlet
> api implementation from www.mockobjects.com for example.

Unfortunately I think that there is too much configuration (or too many mock
objects to create for testing Turbine) for me to try the mock objects route
right now. One of the reasons I was looking at Cactus.

> Hope it helps a bit.
> -Vincent
>
> P.S. : You can have a look at the StrutsTestCase project which lets you
> unit test Struts actions on top of Cactus. URL =
> http://strutstestcase.sourceforge.net/

Thanks this is very helpful! Anyone know of a similar project for Turbine
(hope, hope!).

-warner