From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@octo.com>
Subject RE: Testing servlet chains
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2001 10:44:45 GMT
Thomas,

Yes, each test case must be independent one from another. This is seen
from the client point of view. However, on the server side, there is no
issue having a servlet that calls another.

Imagine the following scenario :

public void testXXX()
{
  MyServlet1 servlet1 = new MyServlet1();
  Servlet1.methodToTest();
}

And MyServlet1.methodToTest() calls another servlet/JSP/... by doing a
forward.

This works fine.

Now, if instead of doing a forward, you're doing a redirect, the
response will be sent back to the client side and the result you'll get
in endXXX() is the redirect response, not the end response. Why ?
Because the goal of Cactus is not to do end to end functional tests but
rather unit tests. For functional tests, you could do that with HttpUnit
for example.

Note: Internally, this is because Cactus set the "do not redirect" flag
on the HttpURLConnection it uses to connect to the server side.
Providing a way for the user to override this would be possible.
However, I believe it would break the focus of Cactus on unit tests. If
we get enough votes for that, we may add it in future versions.

Thanks
-Vincent