From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@octo.com>
Subject Re: server side logging problem with SilverStream AppServer
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2001 20:03:47 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ralf Kintrup" <r.kintrup@inovex.de>
To: "Cactus Users List" <cactus-user@jakarta.apache.org>; "Vincent Massol"
<vmassol@octo.com>
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2001 2:08 PM
Subject: Re: server side logging problem with SilverStream AppServer

> Hi Vincent,
>
> > Is log_server.properties available in cactus.jar ?
>
> Yes.
>

> >And is cactus.jar in your web-inf/lib directory ?
>
> Yes.
>

> > Could you post the exact stack trace you're getting
> > along with your war file structure ? I have never used silverstream; it
> does
> > support war, right ?
>
> SilverStream does support WAR files. There is no exception and no stack
> trace. Cactus just prints out the error message "[warning] Failed to
> configure...".
>
> I looked into Cactus LogService.java class. In the init() method Cactus
does
> find the log4j-core.jar in the classpath but then fails to get the file
with
> this.getClass().getResource(). This seems to be a SilverStream class
loader
> problem. SilverStream stores all contents in a database and therefore uses
> its own class loader to get the necessary resources. Here it failes to
find
> the resource in cactus.jar and it failes to find it in WEB-INF/classes
too.
> I will mail this problem to SilverStream.

I think you're right.

> LogService.java snippet:
>
>     public void init(String theFileName)
>     {
>         // If logging system already initialized, do nothing
>         if (isInitialized()) {
>             return;
>         }
>
>         if (theFileName != null) {
>
>             if (this.isLog4jInClasspath) {
>
>                 URL url = this.getClass().getResource(theFileName);
>                 if (url != null) {
>                     // Initialize Log4j
>                     PropertyConfigurator.configure(url);
>                 } else {
>                     // Failed to configure logging system, simply print
>                     // a warning on stderr
>                     System.err.println("[warning] Failed to configure " +
>                         "logging system : Could not find file [" +
>                         theFileName + "]");
>                 }
>
>             }
>
>         }
>         this.isInitialized = true;
>     }
>

> I think it would be a good idea though to take the fixed property file
name
> out of the Redirector classes and have them configurable in web.xml or
> alternatively use getServletContext().getResource() on the HTTP Request to
> get the property file. Then I could access it.

Yes, that might be a good idea ... but .... I haven't done that because I
wanted to bundle the properties files in cactus.jar so that it would be
easier for cactus users, especially those who don't care about logs. Cactus
logs should be something internal. The problem at the current time is that
it interferes with your own application logs (if you're also using log4j).
I'd like to find a way to configure log4j so that it is possible to use
several "instances" of it, not interfering with one another even in the same
jvm. I'm quite sure it is possible but haven't looked into how to do it yet.

What do you think ?
Thanks
-Vincent