jakarta-bsf-dev mailing list archives

From "Rony G. Flatscher" <Rony.Flatsc...@wu-wien.ac.at>
Subject Re: BSF 3.0 progress
Date Wed, 25 Mar 2009 14:06:21 GMT
Hi Sebb,

just for the record: the final specifications of JSR-223 (probably with
more information than with the Java 6 docs) can be found here:
<http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr223/index.html>.

sebb wrote:
> I think the javax.script classes are nearly ready.
> There are one or two unit tests still needed and the Javadoc needs a
> final going over.
>
> The bsf-utils component includes an HTTP component and an XML
> component. However, HTTP does not seem to be complete, and the
> ScriptEnginePool is definitely not complete or bug free.
>
> The XML component has comments regarding temporary code for beta2, and
> this is referenced in the ScriptEngineManager.initXMLHelper() method -
> should this code still be there?
>
> If so, the Release Notes should note that these classes are not complete.

+1

> ==
>
> There's almost no documentation on BSF 3.0 - the existing
> documentation is all about BSF 2, which is completely different.
> There's also no information on upgrading.
>
> I think these need fixing before a formal (non-beta) release of 3.0 can be made.

Maybe. :)

Seriously, I think too that a section on BSF-3 needs to be added that
points out that

    * BSF-3.0 is not compatible with BSF-2.4, but an opensource
      implemenation of JSR-223 a.k.a. "Java 6 scripting",
    * BSF-3.0 can be deployed and used starting with Java 1.4.2 (no
      dependency on Java 6),
    * that there are plans to bridge both frameworks by eventually
      supplying a BSF 2.4 engine that bridges all BSF 3 scripting
      languages [based on ant's engine], and a BSF 3.0 engine that
      bridges all BSF 2.4 scripting languages (this would allow a smooth
      migration path to BSF 3.0),
    * BSF-2.4 remains maintained for those who have been using it.

Regards,

---rony

P.S.: Asked Geir for the TCK-223. If that does not work out, I try to
get it for private use from Mike Grogan as a member of JSR-223.