jakarta-bsf-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release BSF 3.0 beta3
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2009 15:11:27 GMT
On 24/03/2009, ant elder <ant.elder@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please review and vote on the BSF 3.0 beta3 release. The artifacts are
>  available at:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~antelder/bsf/3.0-beta3-RC1/
>
>  and the an SVN tag is at:
>
>  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/bsf/tags/bsf-3.0-beta3

There are some duplicate classes in the testing hieararchy - most of
these look OK, as they are in parallel testing directories.

However testing/e4x/src/test/java/org/mozilla/javascript/ContextHelper
has the same name - but not quite the same contents - as a class in
the source directory. It should be renamed or deleted.

There are also a few Javadoc errors.

Neither of these are blockers.

There are quite a few classes which are not thread-safe as they stand.
I don't know which classes are supposed to be thread-safe, so perhaps
this is not a problem.

There also seem to be quite a few classes with protected mutable
variables that are also accessible via public get/set methods. In some
cases, this is what the Java 6 classes do, so I guess that cannot be
changed, even though it makes the classes harder to test and make
thread-safe ;-)

However, there are some mutable protected variables which are not part
of the Java 6 API, as far as I can tell:

javax.script.SimpleBindings.map

javax.script.ScriptEngineManager.* (all variables except globalscope)

javax.script.ScriptException (all variables)

These could be made private (and final) which would improve thread-safety.

>  +1 from me.

-1, on the basis that adding protected variables to the API means that
the API is incompatible with JSR-223.

Assuming that these need to be fixed before release, there are some
other non-API classes that need fixing too. Let me know if you want me
to provide patches or just update SVN.