jakarta-bsf-dev mailing list archives

From "Rony G. Flatscher" <Rony.Flatsc...@wu-wien.ac.at>
Subject Re: Roadmap (was: JEXL engine)
Date Tue, 27 May 2008 21:49:45 GMT

Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> On 5/27/08, Rony G. Flatscher (Apache) <rony@apache.org> wrote:
> <snip/>
>
>>  P.S.: Have been working on a local copy of BSF 2.4, but still need time to
>> do all what needs to be done besides my current workload. But with your
>> initiative and sebb's help things definitely move ...
>>

> Is the roadmap posted somewhere? What are the things you mention need
> doing, and what are their priorities?

No, no roadmap that I am aware of.

Here are my ideas/plans for BSF 2.4:

    * incorporate the Jira-issues (e.g. suggestion to add the ability
      for better debugging information for the Rhino-/Javascript-engine)
          o here sebb's ideas would be incorporated by sebb, I hope
    * incorporate ant's BSF engine that imports the JSR-223 (a.k.a. Java
      6/BSF 3.0) scripting engines
          o would like the default import to not replace BSF 2.4
            engines, but supply another method for that
    * add methods to the BSFManager to retrieve the registered BSF
      engines and the filetypes (extensions)
    * maybe creating a JSR-223 engine distributed with BSF 2.4 which
      would make all BSF 2.4 engines available (allowing BSF 2.4 engines
      to be employed by Java 6/BSF 3.0)
          o this would allow to deploy BSF 2.4 for Java6/BSF 3.0
            environments and interfacing with the BSF 2.4 engines using
            the JSR-223 defined interfaces
          o this might take a while though (it is a matter of having a
            few days available to get re-acquainted with JSR-223 before
            devising and implementing this)

Regards

---rony