jakarta-bsf-dev mailing list archives

From "Rony G. Flatscher" <Rony.Flatsc...@wu-wien.ac.at>
Subject Re: Minimum of Java 1.4 for BSF 2.x?
Date Wed, 21 May 2008 07:28:48 GMT
Hi Sebb,

sebb wrote:
> At present build-properties.xml has
>
> <property name="source.level" value="1.3" />
>
> i.e. compatibility with Java 1.3 source.
>
> The compiler target is not specified, however at least one class in
> trunk uses java.util.regex which is Java 1.4+.
>
> Would it be OK to insist on a minimum of Java 1.4 for the next 2.x release?

Hmm, not sure about this. As long as we use the 1.3 Java class format
Java 1.3. deployed applications can take advantage of BSF and will be
able to take advantage of improvements to BSF 2.x. The moment we change
to the 1.4 class file format, this clientel gets locked out. I would
assume that quite a few deployments may be affected by this.

Therefore, I would suggest to change the class file format to 1.4 (or
higher) only, if we truly take advantage of new features of those
versions of Java in the BSF framework itself.

BSF engines that depend on higher class file formats (or functionality
introduced with later versions of Java) should indicate this dependency
explicitly. (For newer deployments there would be never troubles as it
is very likely that Java 1.4, if not 5 or 6 would be deployed on the
rolled-out machines already.)

---rony