jakarta-bsf-dev mailing list archives

From "Rony G. Flatscher" <Rony.Flatsc...@wu-wien.ac.at>
Subject How about a static "getRegisteredEngines()" ? ( Re: JEXL engine
Date Tue, 20 May 2008 07:26:49 GMT
Hi Sebb,

>>  Sebb - Would it help JMeter to have this? If so, can you please add ;-)
>>

> I can't at present think of a reason why JMeter would need the version
> at run-time, because we bundle a known version.
>
> But it might well be useful for other applications, e.g. web applications.

 From experience such metadata is not needed every day (like true
mutliple-inheritance etc.), but if you run into a need for it then the
availability appears to be just God sent!

> However, it would be nice for JMeter if BSF made it easy to retrieve
> the list of registered languages ;-)

That's an interesting suggestion. Currently, BSFManager employs a
HashTable of registered engines (langName->classNameOfEngine) which
could be made available via a static "getRegisteredEngines()" accessor
method. Would that help solve your use case?

Would anyone object to add that static method to BSFManager?

Any other suggestions/ideas/requests?
[I would like to work a bit on the code this coming weekend, mainly to
incorporate the Jira issues/requests, but then it would be also possible
to add the one or other useful functionality.]

---rony

P.S.: Personally, I would like to incorporate ant's nice class that
incorporates all JSR-223/Java6/BSF3 scripting engines into BSF2.4, cf.
<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/sandbox/ant/container.script/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/container/script/jsr223/JSR223BSFEngine.java>

using the org.apache.bsf package name.

P.P.S.: In addition, I have been thinking of another idea which would
allow JSR-223/Java6/BSF3 to employ BSF2.4 scripting languages,
distributed with BSF2.4.