jakarta-bsf-dev mailing list archives

From Martin van den Bemt <mll...@mvdb.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release BSF 3.0-beta1
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2007 08:04:00 GMT

ant elder wrote:
> Thanks for the review. Answers in line.
>
>   ...ant
>
> On 3/29/07, Martin van den Bemt <mllist@mvdb.net> wrote:
>>
>> - Couldn't find a KEYS file to verify your signature (checked svn trunk)
>

> Now added: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/bsf/trunk/KEYS

Will check it tonight :)

> - The
>> bsf-engines/src/main/resources/META-INF/services/javax.script/ScriptEngineFactory
>>
>> doesn't
>> contain a license (if it doesn't run with the license, leave it out
>> though)
>

> I couldn't find the right comment sequence to get it to work, I think i
> read
> somewhere its ok for a file like this to not have a license header

In this case it is ok to leave it out, since you will end up with an unworkable solution.

> - bsf-3.0-beta1-bin.tar.gz looks kind of weird in the META-INF directory
>> (there is a META-INF
>> directory in there)
>

> This appears to be a bug with the pnuts engine. This isn't a blocker is it?

Nope, just something that looked weird. Btw was pnuts also under a bsd license (could be that
you
need to add an extra license for just pnuts)

> - You have built with jdk1.5, although the version supported is
> 1.4.2(assuming you developed using
>> jdk1.4.2)
>

> Thats true. The maven-compiler-plugin is set to use 1.4 though and I have
> used this with Synapse using 1.4.2 i think. Is this an issue?

Just making sure you were aware of it :)

> - Not sure if we are allowed to distribute the javax packages, since we
>> didn't pass the TCK yet
>> (even though there is a disclaimer). I seem to recall reading somewhere
>> (very vague, I know), that
>> you cannot use the package name until distributed (geir or someone else
>> who knows better, please
>> correct me)
>

> Geir has said it is ok:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-bsf-dev/200703.mbox/%3c71e1b5740703150549p2b0eb58kfe615485afbb69a7@mail.gmail.com%3e

Totally missed / forgot that mail (trying to keep with a bit too much mail)..

> - Are we allowed to redistribute the engines in bsf-engines ? Doest BSF
> work
>> without them ?
>

> This is a point in time thing to make BSF useful without requiring uses do
> extra downloads. I hope we can stop doing this in the near future by
> implementing a core set of our own engines, or in the more medium term
> future, i think script languages don't include a JSR-223 engine today as
> there's no JSR-223 API impl available under a good license, so once BSF
> passes the TCK script languages may start including their own JSR-223
> engine.
>
> I believe we are ok distributing them for now. They are under a BSD license
> which according to the 3rd party licensing policy is a "Category A:
> Authorized License". See: http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html and
> https://scripting.dev.java.net/.

the license is good indeed.. com.sun packages still trigger some alarm bells, even though
it was
clear from the distribuation it was under BSD. :) (rather be safe to ask for confirmation
than to be
sorry :)

> - What is the distribution directory in the src zip / tgz ?
>

> It contains the build scripts to build the bsf-all jar and for the maven
> assembly plugin to create the bin and src distributions.

ok..

> - No site in source (maybe useful in dist?)
>> - No javadoc in binary dist
>

> These are both true. Next release? Also note that right now most Javadoc
> comments just refer to the Sun docs, eg see:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/bsf/trunk/bsf3/bsf-api/src/main/java/javax/script/SimpleScriptContext.java

Also not useful for other bsf classes ? Not a blocker though for a beta release, would be
nice to
have javadoc for the final though. (I assume javadoc will be available online ?).

Also with maven2 it's quite easy to create a javadoc jar and source jars (I like those to
be
available in the repository). (targets are source:jar and javadoc:jar). Willing to help out
here if
you like (it's pretty simple to configure)

Mvgr,
Martin