jakarta-bsf-dev mailing list archives

From "Rony G. Flatscher" <Rony.Flatsc...@wu-wien.ac.at>
Subject Re: State of release efforts ?
Date Sat, 02 Sep 2006 21:13:59 GMT
Hi Sanka,

>> as the next ApacheCon (US) is coming up in the first week of October
>> a successful release of BSF by then would make good news in the
>> Apache context.
>>
>> Though I do not know the exact steps for an official release and
>> vote, what I can remember from Henning's helpful insights, we would
>> need to have a release candidate set up that should be able to be
>> buildable on Java 1.3 through 1.5 on Windows, Linux and MacOS.
>>
>> Now, as Kev is helping with the build process and trying to get the
>> latest BSF for the ant project, we should try to get to a release
>> candidate for BSF 2.3 as quickly as possible. Would you think it to
>> be possible for you to get one release candidate created by this
>> coming weekend by any chance?
>> (If so, we could try to set the next needed steps for getting an
>> official vote for a release of BSF 2.3 ASAP thereafter, maybe as
>> early as the coming Monday?)
>>

> Yes .. I'll do it.

*Great*, thank you very much!

> Can anyone please list out the version of script language jars and the
> jdk version that I should use in the build process?

Do you still have the ones that I gave you at the ApacheCon Asia (I
"harvested" them two weeks before the ApacheCon Asia took place, so they
should be the latest ones available)?

Though, there might be a caveat in that some of the scripting languages
now demand Java 1.4 or so.

If we want to principally allow BSF to run on 1.3, then we should
compile the Java programs with higher versions with the flag "-target
1.3", and starting with Java 1.5 in addition with the flag "-source 1.3".

Regards,

---rony
P.S.: Of course, we could decide to standardize on Java 1.4 as the
minimum version needed for BSF, although this would factor out all Java
1.3 installations to use the latest version of BSF.
P.P.S.: Will try to get the latest BSF sources and diff them with
BSF4Rexx (which should be at the latest revision anyway) and test the
BSF4Rexx functionality.