jakarta-bsf-dev mailing list archives

From "Rony G. Flatscher" <Rony.Flatsc...@wu-wien.ac.at>
Subject Re: A suggestion on versioning information ....
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:07:43 GMT
Hi Ulf:

>>One way to solve this would be to introduce a static field named e.g.
>>"version" which would carry the exact version information.
>>

>This sounds like a good idea. Just don't make the field final, or clients
>compiled against one version will not be able to distinguish it from
>another version. Some libraries do that, and the only way around it is to
>use reflection on the field.

Here are the code snippets from my present version of "BSFManager.java":

    // version string in the form of: "abb.yyyymmdd",
    // where "a" is the major version number, "bb" the minor version number,
    // and "yyyymmdd" represents the date in sorted order (four digit year, two digit month,
two digit day)
    protected static String version="204.20060117";

   /** Returns the version string of BSF.
     *
     * @return version string in the form &quot;"abb.yyyymmdd"&quot; where
         *      &quot;a&quot; represents the major version number,
         *      &quot;bb&quot; the minor version number,
         *      &quot;yyyy&quot; four digit year,
         *      &quot;mm&quot; two digit month, and
         *      &quot;dd&quot; two digit day.
     * @since 2006-01-17
     */
    public static String getVersion()
    {
        return version;
    }

So access to the version string should be via its get-method
"getVersion()".

Any thoughts, ideas, further comments?

Regards,

---rony