jakarta-bsf-dev mailing list archives

From "Rony G. Flatscher" <Rony.Flatsc...@wu-wien.ac.at>
Subject Re: Planned change on TypeConvertorRegistry.java
Date Sat, 27 Aug 2005 19:57:54 GMT
Hi Sanka,

thank you for your feedback!

>>thinking about String-->Object type conversion to incorporate into BSF
>>it will mostlikely make sense to do the same for the primitive datatype
>>wrapper classes like Byte and the like, or no type conversion at all (in
>>which case it is left to the BSF engine implementors to convert on their
>>own). Again, such a need would occur only if a Java field/method
>>argument needs type Object values only.
>>
>>So what would you think, would it add too much overhead or would it be
>>acceptable?
>>

>IMUO I think it'll add too much of overhead to TypeConvertorRegistry.
>
>Adding such a conversion might result in the necessity  to add quite a number of other
type conversions (e.g. Char[] -> Object[]) which I think too much overhead.
>:(

Well, arrays would not be primitive datatypes, so this would not pertain
to them. Although, you are right, if thinking about char[]->String,
byte[]->String, String->char[], or String->byte[].

OTOH, the penalty would be mostly in the lookup of the type convertors,
which shouldn't be that bad, after all.

Regards,

---rony