jakarta-bsf-dev mailing list archives

From "Jiger Patel" <jiger_...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: BSF plugin in Eclipse - input needed
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:41:52 GMT
>Hi Jiger,
Hi,

>Very nice plugin.

Thanks.

>Initially I've have also created very simple console prototype with
>Eclipse, but now I'm in the process of
>redesign that silly hackish thing... I keep in touch with some Eclipse
>people. We can use their help to define the requirements for
>the scripting in terms of Eclipse abstraction framework (especially that
>they've already tried to implement scripting, but it failed
>for some reason).

Good for us :)

>So far, I'm targeting next goals:
>
>1. To design flexible BSF Console View. Something like what you have with
>JEdit, but including little bit more features:
>     - language independent set of commands initialized from some init file

Well I can do that NOW in jEdit too using its startup scripts mechanism
albeit it is not language independent but I wonder how language independent
be in a language.

>     - command completion and history mechanisms.
Hmm but this is very big task in it self.
>     - console multi-line editing (something like in BeanShell, but
>language independent)
People can always use the buffer textarea to do that in jEdit :-)
>     - "rich output" support (flexible output partitioning based on script
>definitions) (phase 2 or 3)
Huh???
>2. Design the abstraction of the objects that representing the Eclipse
>platform in BSF
Do u mean accessing Eclipse components from any scripting language?
>3. Design the ScriptLaunch abstraction and Macros framework for Eclipse
>
>This is very roughly what I plan. Any more ideas?
>
>Probably we should create a project on SourceForge,  use their listserver
>to communicate. I think this list is not quite appropriate
>for us.
Yea agreed. I think java.net should be any ideal place since they have sf +
wiki etc.

-Jiger
PS: You can mail me directly for further communication. Sorry BSF Developers
for overusing this list :)