jakarta-bsf-dev mailing list archives

From "Jiger Patel" <jiger_...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Capturing sysin and sysout-FIXED
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:09:04 GMT
Hi Victor,

>Glad to hear your success. Apologies to have not been able to help
>out in time.

No Problem. :)

>I'll make the modifications to the JythonEngine as soon as source
>re-organization discussions are complete; if I understand
>correctly, the Javascript and Beanshell engines are encapsulating
>error messages in the BSFException, while Jython requires an
>additional level of redirection to retrieve the error. Please
>correct me if I am wrong.

Hmm ya well something like that. When I receive a BSFException in case of
BeanShell/Jython, and I do bsfexception.getMessage(), I get Beanshells
original error message and no target exception object is set in bsfexception
BUT in case of Javascript, I have to go all the way upto the
bsfexception.getTargetException().getMessage() to get the actual exception.
Both the ways I am able to get the error messages with or without
adornments(additional message prefix/suffixed by resp. engines), but ideally
the behaviours must be standard ideally like Javascript. To help you make
out more better what I mean to say, I printed out the exceptions for
Javascript.

[debug] Caught BSFException in executeScript org.apache.bsf.BSFException:
JavaScript Error: Internal Error: ReferenceError: "sadfsad" is not defined.
[debug] exp.getMessage()JavaScript Error: Internal Error: ReferenceError:
"sadfsad" is not defined.
[debug] exp.getTargetException() ReferenceError: "sadfsad" is not defined.
[debug] targetexception.getMessage() "sadfsad" is not defined.

Now when I run the same thing via Beanshell/Jython I get different result
with minor difference within themselves too.

[debug]  Caught BSFException in executeScript org.apache.bsf.BSFException:
exception from Jython: Traceback (innermost last):
[debug]    File "<string>", line 1, in ?
[debug]  NameError: fds
[debug]  exp.getMessage()exception from Jython: Traceback (innermost last):
[debug]    File "<string>", line 1, in ?
[debug]  NameError: fds
[debug]  exp.getTargetException() Traceback (innermost last):
[debug]    File "<string>", line 1, in ?
[debug]  NameError: fds
[debug]  targetexception.getMessage() null

The funniest of all is Beanshell which throws no exception if it cannot run
the command, like for example when I ran the above string as command with
language set to Beanshell, it gave me no exception in eval nor in exec!!!
funny....

Well but I have completely revamped the Plugin code in 0.3 release and now
it seems to be totally independent of the engines behaviour still making ALL
engines behaviour standard vis-a-vis common things like Exception handling,
returning values etc would definately help and make developers like me lifes
simple.

Some more issues below

Here is a comment from my Plugin's code
//Last condition is due to JS hack. Coz it prints to the sysout AND also
returns object of type Undefined.

This is the behaviour when doing a bsfmanager.eval(). Things like these are
very tricky to handle and leads to hacks. Like I currently have a special
hack for Jython. When the user selects Jython as his scripting languages,
Jython does not load any classes from its classloader or contextClassLoader
but from system classpath. Now since the plugin classes are dynamically
loaded by the IDE's CL, they are not found and I have to explicitly call
Py.getSystemState().addJar("path/to/plugin/jars"). This is really bad and
ALL Engines to be BSF complaint must have a standard behaviour for
ClassPaths, setting ClassLoaders, I/O, return values from eval/exec etc.

Thanks for all your help,
Jiger