jakarta-bsf-dev mailing list archives

From "Victor J. Orlikowski" <...@dulug.duke.edu>
Subject Re: BSF4Rexx ready, now what to do to incorporate it into Apache's distribution? Please advise!
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2003 06:44:19 GMT
On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 12:12:00AM +0200, Rony G. Flatscher wrote:
> Now, what are the next steps I am supposed to undertake in order to enroll the "BSF4Rexx"
package into the Apache distribution? (I have a version running and tested for IBM's BSF 2.2,
and one for Apache's BSF 2.3.)

> I need to distribute one binary written in C++ (realizing the JNI interface). As I use
Mark Hessling's "RexxTrans" libraries (cf. <http://www.lightlink.com/hessling/>, where
also the open source, multiplatform Rexx interpreter Regina resides), I would be able to supply
one pre-compiled JNI for Linux, OS2/eCS and Windows, which would allow quite a few different
Rexx interpreters to use it out of the box (open sourced and commercial ones).

Rony,

Thanks so much for your patience, and support of BSF.
Basically, we need to talk about the license for your code, and
how maintenance will occur (whether you will maintain the code
separately, whether we need to maintain it, etc.).

There is also the question of, should BSF gain the ability to
auto-load languages (requires discussion on this list) in the near
future, would you still want your code to be part of the main
distribution.

Let's work out the details of getting 2.3 out the door (my
preference being that it should look more like 2.2, w/
auto-loading), and we can work out the details of getting your
code in (should you still desire that) at that point.

Victor
--
Victor J. Orlikowski   | The Wall is Down, But the Threat Remains!
orlikowski@apache.org  | vjo@dulug.duke.edu | vjo@us.ibm.com