jakarta-bsf-dev mailing list archives

From "Rony G. Flatscher" <Rony.Flatsc...@wu-wien.ac.at>
Subject BSF4Rexx ready, now what to do to incorporate it into Apache's distribution? Please advise!
Date Sat, 10 May 2003 22:12:00 GMT
Hi there,

in the past months I have been rather busy overhauling the Rexx and Object Rexx support for
BSF. Finally, I can announce that the work is practially done (a little test cycle is outstanding).

Here is a little example (in this case an Object Rexx program), to query java.lang.System
for the "java.version" property (the tilde ~ is the message operator in Object Rexx):

------------- cut here -----------
say "java.version:" .bsf4rexx~system.class ~getProperty('java.version')

::requires "BSF.cls"
------------- cut here -----------

The above program can run, if invoked via BSF, but also if started from a Rexx interpreter,
which would automatically load the JVM und use the BSF infrastructure to interface with it.
If interested in this, I can elaborate a little bit further.

---

Now, what are the next steps I am supposed to undertake in order to enroll the "BSF4Rexx"
package into the Apache distribution? (I have a version running and tested for IBM's BSF 2.2,
and one for Apache's BSF 2.3.)

I need to distribute one binary written in C++ (realizing the JNI interface). As I use Mark
Hessling's "RexxTrans" libraries (cf. <http://www.lightlink.com/hessling/>, where also
the open source, multiplatform Rexx interpreter Regina resides), I would be able to supply
one pre-compiled JNI for Linux, OS2/eCS and Windows, which would allow quite a few different
Rexx interpreters to use it out of the box (open sourced and commercial ones).

Please advise!

Regards,

---rony

--