jakarta-bsf-dev mailing list archives

From "Rony G. Flatscher" <Rony.Flatsc...@wu-wien.ac.at>
Subject Re: BSF Jakarta-Taglib
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 14:39:48 GMT
Hi there,

I am an engine developer for the Rexx and Object Rexx engine and have
the control over the license (LGPL at the moment). I would very much
like to have the Rexx support included into the standard distribution
using the open sourced Rexx interpreter named "Regina" which is
available for practically all operating systems (from AIX, Linux, via
Macintosh, OS/2, Solaris, Symbian to Windows et.al.).  AFAIK, one can
get the Regina into a rollout-package, such that you could distribute
taglib examples with Rexx. Here I can offer to conact the maintainer of
Regina to ask him to adjust Regina (license and whatever else you tell
me) accordingly. He and I would be more than happy in making Rexx
available to the Apache community and the BSF-customers.

Personally, I am a big fan of Object Rexx which is available for free
for Linux and OS/2 and costs money for AIX and Windows (a Solaris
version is put into beta by IBM, which authors Object Rexx). On Windows
Object Rexx is crafted to be WSH-engine (a Windows Scripting Host
engine) allowing it to be employed within Internet Explorer (likie
VBScript and JScript), IIS and wshell, as well for using
OLE/ActiveX-automation. So the support for Object Rexx should also be
included, if possible.

---

There are two main issues (besides working almost five jobs at the
moment running low on time-budgets for the next weeks) for me to be
resolved:

- which license (URL) would you like me to place on bsf4rexx and the
samples (is there an URL explaining what to do?),

- clarify how the engines can be called, ie. would Java objects passed
to the engines have to be registered by the bsf-engine or by the calling
Java-program, which then would pass the string of the index in the
registry to address the object? If the latter is not true, I'd need a
weekend to cater for that behaviour.

There are some issues which I sure hope can be discussed and resolved in
this list, but for them I will use separate mails.

Regards,

---rony