jakarta-bsf-dev mailing list archives

From "Victor J. Orlikowski" <...@dulug.duke.edu>
Subject Re: BSF Jakarta-Taglib
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 13:47:20 GMT
On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 07:20:37AM -0600, Glenn Nielsen wrote:
> Now that BSF is hosted by the ASF Jakarta Project and there is a pending
> BSF 2.3 release I have started work on updating the Jakarta-Taglibs BSF taglib
> to get it ready for a 1.0 release after BSF 2.3 is released.
>
> In the BSF CVS repository I noticed that there are some classes for a BSF taglib.
> Perhaps the JSP custom taglib stuff should be removed from the BSF CVS repository
> so that it is only located in one place, at Jakarta-Taglibs.

Indeed; the plan had been to submit our work to you.
The taglib that is in the jakarta-bsf tree works wonderfully with
WAS, but there is a problem with Tomcat, where there is the
complaint that scriptlet and expression do not implement BodyTag,
even though they extend bsftag, which implements BodyTag.

It is not our intent to duplicate effort; we simply intended to
provide our work to you, and work with you on the taglibs. You
simply have caught us before we caught you. :)

> I was wondering if anyone had done a review of the licenses for all the
> scripting languages BSF supports.  The BSF taglib creates an example web application
> war file, but the examples can't run without the user downloading one or more of
> the scripting languages.  It would be nice if several of the scripting languages
> had compatible licenses so that we could create a BSF taglib example war which includes
> the jar files for several scripting languages.  Then the examples would work without
> the user having to download and install several scripting language jar files.

I believe that Rhino, Jython and Jacl all have a compatible
licenses, but I do not believe that anyone has done a formal
survey of all of the available languages.

Hope that helps,
Victor
--
Victor J. Orlikowski   | The Wall is Down, But the Threat Remains!
orlikowski@apache.org  | vjo@dulug.duke.edu | vjo@us.ibm.com