jakarta-bcel-user mailing list archives

From "Torsten Curdt" <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: BCEL or ASM (was Re: HEAD)
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:46:48 GMT
> The situation is basically that BCEL was one of the original designs for
> this sort of thing. It did a good job in its day, but the ASM framework
> is a more modern design, and it shows.
>
> Dave and a few others have done a great job fixing the most important
> BCEL issues and preparing for a new release, in order to support tools
> that currently use BCEL.
>
> However adding 1.5 support to BCEL's existing design is going to be
> quite a big job. I'm not sure whether it's worth doing, or whether it's
> even possible (Dave and others may have a better idea about that than
> me).
>
> As ASM uses a BSD license, has an excellent design, has an active
> development pool, and already supports java 1.5 it would be *my* choice
> for a new project.

Not much to add but this...

In some cases using ASM is not as straight forward to program as BCEL.
(I always compare it with DOM vs SAX) ...but ASM has a much more vital
community and that would be *my* reason to go with ASM if possible. Plus
the cool eclipse plugin :-)

But if there enough people willing to add support for 1.5 and later there is no
reason not to do it.

cheers
--
Torsten