jakarta-bcel-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject BCEL or ASM (was Re: HEAD)
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2006 09:42:31 GMT
On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 15:07 -0700, Henri Yandell wrote:
> On 4/5/06, Dave Brosius <dbrosius@apache.org> wrote:
> > That is the one. Perhaps i mistated, there certainly was talk of putting
> > that on the web site, but perhaps it never was.
>
> I think that's the case. It's on my list of todo's to put it up on the
> site if no one else does, but my todo list is endless.

The situation is basically that BCEL was one of the original designs for
this sort of thing. It did a good job in its day, but the ASM framework
is a more modern design, and it shows.

Dave and a few others have done a great job fixing the most important
BCEL issues and preparing for a new release, in order to support tools
that currently use BCEL.

However adding 1.5 support to BCEL's existing design is going to be
quite a big job. I'm not sure whether it's worth doing, or whether it's
even possible (Dave and others may have a better idea about that than
me).

As ASM uses a BSD license, has an excellent design, has an active
development pool, and already supports java 1.5 it would be *my* choice
for a new project.

Cheers,

Simon