jakarta-bcel-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Schregenberger <np...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Modification of java.lang.Object
Date Wed, 12 May 2004 22:54:41 GMT
Hello

> afaik java.lang.Object is something like another primitive type. I.e. in the
> jvm there are value types and there is one reference type which is
> java.lang.Object. As all other classes are derived from this one, variables
> having a type of class xyz are also treated as references. That's the only
> thing I do know which might create a need to bind this class tightly to the
> jvm and cause trouble if you add references into java.lang.Object itself.

I noticed that the GNU classpath project had a note about this. ie: when
you use GNU classpath for your own VM, you have to implement some stuff
in your VM.
But our goal is (was?) to use a standard VM.

> BTW: Why the hell should anybody have to modify this class? Would be very
> interesting to know.

I'm implementing dynamic Type checking for the Universe Type System.
This is a way of making sure object structures don't leak and nobody
outside can modify anything inside and break invariants. Here's a link
to a paper if you're interested:

http://sct.inf.ethz.ch/publications/papers/MuellerPoetzsch-Heffter01a.pdf

> There might also be some ways to solve your problem...

Yeah, it looks as if I have to think of one :)

-- Daniel