jakarta-bcel-user mailing list archives

From "Burt Wagner" <burt.wag...@alignmentsoftware.com>
Subject RE: Instrumenting a constructor
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2002 15:54:42 GMT
Be sure to read up on the two following methods:

instructionList.setPositions();

instructionList.redirectBranches(oldHandle, newHandle);

And maybe:

instructionList.redirectLocalVariables(methodGen.getLocalVariables(),
oldHandle, newHandle);

-----Original Message-----
From: rreyelts@attbi.com [mailto:rreyelts@attbi.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 9:35 AM
To: BCEL Users List
Subject: Re: Instrumenting a constructor

> Rather than rename the constructor which generates the
problems you mention,
> you could call a private method that you define which
contains your code.

Yeah, that's fine. It doesn't really make any difference
to me whether I inline the logic or not.

> I think you only have to identify the return statements
(and the end of the
> constructor) and do an insert of the call to your
method (taking care about
> pushing any necessary parameters).

Don't all returns have to be explicit in bytecode?

For example, when I look at the bytecode for
  public class Foo {}
(compiled with jdk 1.4.1)
I see
 Method Foo()
   0 aload_0
   1 invokespecial #1 <Method java.lang.Object()>
   4 return

> Be sure to only call insert on the instruction list
object and the other
> bytecode in it will be OK, e.g., targets for try should
still work as these
> bytecodes have just been shifted in the list.  Do NOT
work with a copy of the
> list or else you inserts will not work as copies of the
bytecodes have been
> taken and then BCEL looses its notion of which bytecode
it's dealing with (as
> the instruction handle has changed) and so you have to
do a lot of your own
> work patching up the branches and try-catch blocks.

Just to make sure I understand, you're saying that BCEL
will do any jump patching for me, as long I use
InstructionList.insert*, and then I won't have to do any
manually patching at all? (I was actually looking for an
insert method before, but managed to miss it all this
time <sigh>).

> I'm not sure about this, I would hope this would be in
slot 0 right from the
> start, as there is an implicit call to the super
constructor which is
> dispatched via the VM with respect to this (i.e., there
is nothing at the
> bytecode level to indicate super, 'this' is passed to
the VM and it does the
> step up to super).

Not sure what you mean here. The super call is explicitly
in the bytecode. Like my previous example,

  public class Foo {}
(compiled with jdk 1.4.1)
I see
 Method Foo()
   0 aload_0
   1 invokespecial #1 <Method java.lang.Object()>
   4 return

The compiler explicitly generated the language level
implicit constructor and implicit super call. My point,
which you don't see here, is that, for some methods, I've
seen the compiler generate bytecode which overwrites slot
0, so the "this" reference that's placed there when the
method begins execution is lost. So, if I were to try to
invoke my private method, for example, I couldn't just insert

  aload_0
  invokespecial #N (myMethod)

because I couldn't depend on slot 0 containing the "this"
reference. In fact, generally speaking, I can't depend
upon the state of any slot or the stack at all, unless I
build a small scale virtual machine, or insert code at
the very beginning of a method. So, again, I'm just
saying that, as far as I understand, I would have to
"addLocalVariable" and then insert
  aload_0
  astore_N (where N is LocalVariable.getIndex() )

to be able to get the "this" reference when I need it.
IIUC, that applies to any local variable that I need to
get a hold of.

> If you leave the original alone and insert into its
list I believe the
> branches to the original bytecodes should be OK.

Thanks very much for the help.

God bless,
-Toby Reyelts