jakarta-alexandria-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Martin <jmar...@silacom.com>
Subject RE: Information about Alexandria
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:08:16 GMT
Ah, you've spotted the almost total lack of documentation. My fault it's a
big note at the top of my todo list.

The stuff that's on the alexandria site is out of date. I'd suggest you get
the latest version of alexandria from cvs (note: alexandria has not reach a
stable release so this will change). You will also need a copy of Ant 1.2.

Building
=========
- Execute the build.xml file in the root dir.
- (If you get an error try touching one of the .xsd files in the src/xml dir
and rebuilding).
- This should create a directory call dist this contains the actuall
alexandria distribution.

Configuring
============
- In the new dist/alexandria/etc edit the global.xml and
AlexandriaResources.properties files.
- Edit the AlexandriaResources.properties file so that it points to the area
under your web server where you want alexandria to be. e.g.
/var/www/html/code

#=== Sample AlexandriaResources.properties
=====================================
#the source file for CVS Markup.
jxr.markup.file=./src/xml/global.xml

#Destination directory for JXR output
jxr.destination.directory=/var/www/html/code/html/jxr

#images for JXR.  These are actually copied over to the desired location so
#file is required here.
jxr.image.file=/var/www/html/code/html/file.gif
jxr.image.folder=/var/www/html/code/html/folder.gif

#Directory where Alexandria does its CVS checkouts to.
cvs.checkout.directory=/var/www/html/code/cvs

content.dir=/var/www/html/code

# Size of blame history
blame.size=50

#===========================================================================
===

Within the global.xml file you need a reposistry entry for each cvs server
you have. CVS servers can be anywhere on the internet or on and internal
network. Within each repository you can setup multiple module entries for
each cvs module you want alexandria to display.

The build and test tags are used to invoke ant build files to build and test
your code. The test stuff is designed to work with the ant junit task (I can
give you more details of that if you like).

    <repository>
        <name>Reposistory Name</name>

<root>:pserver:anon@cvs.working-dogs.com:/products/cvs/alexandria</root>
        <password>cvs-password</password>

<cvsweb>http://www.working-dogs.com/alexandria/cvsweb/index.cgi/</cvsweb>
        <home>http://java.apache.org/alexandria</home>

        <module>
                <name>Module Name Alexandria</name>
                <license>APL</license>
                <description>Internet content management
system</description>
                <home>http://java.apache.org/alexandria</home>
                <cvs-module-name>alexandria</cvs-module-name>
                <javasrc>src/java</javasrc>
                <revision tag="HEAD" latest="true"/>
                <build file="build.xml" target="main">
                        <arg name="apache.home" value="apache"/>
                </build>
                <test file="build.xml" target="testXml"
classpath="/opt/ant/lib/junit.jar" />
        </module>

    </repository>

Running it
===========
- Execute the alexandria script

How it Works
=============

Alexandria is based around Ant and using XSL transformations to generate
build files for ant.

The main build file is alexandria.xml this controls the whole build process.
It uses the master file global.xml which is transformed using the XSL files
to produce the alexandria menus and a serious of build files which are then
included in the alexandria.xml file:

- build.cvs.xml - Handles the checking out of files from cvs
- build.build.xml - Handles the building of ant projects
- build.javadoc.xml - handles the javadocing of code
- build.test.xml - handles running junit test via ant

alexandria.xml will also run the JXR task which handles the cross
referencing of java code list LXR

I hope this gives you an idea of what's going on. If you have ant more
questions you know where we are. Hopefully I'll get that documentian done at
some point soon.