jakarta-alexandria-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Gump changes
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2002 07:16:51 GMT
On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org> wrote:

> So, trying to get to the point, my concern is that the Gump
> descriptor can evlove with respect and cooperation with the
> Centipede and the Forrest communities.

And with the Maven community as well.  They seem to be interested from
time to time ...

One of the worst things today that can happen to an Ant committer is
to wear the "I broke the Gump run today" T-Shirt.  If bootstrap-ant
fails, all other things will be yellow.

I'd expect that breaking the Gump descriptors would be equally
embarrassing.  Changing the descriptors in a way that is backwards
compatible may affect Centipede or Forrest, but then again you will be
there to ensure that doesn't happen.

> But some have said that they will not partecipate on Jakarta
> Commons, because of the massive quantity of posts on that list

I can understand this point.

> and because they feel uncomfortable in that environment.

Would the environment be different on a gump-dev list with the same
people interested in Gump?

> We also have concerns about the drastic changes that could be taken
> on the descriptor format, and don't want it to happen and break our
> efforts to use Gump descriptors in day2day builds in Ant.

Gump is all about early warnings and backwards compatibility.  Well,
not "all", but you know what I mean.  I wouldn't expect that to
change.

>   - a Gump CVS module open to *all* Apache committers, but with
>     us giving oversight on the process

who is "us"?

>   - commit access given also to selected Centipede developers

Commit access is earned by contribution, you know that.  The bar for
getting voted in as a committer to Gump has been extremely low in the
past.

> Costin, Sam, are you willing to help me in not making this
> disruptive for Centipede?

You can count me in here.

Stefan