jakarta-alexandria-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Gump changes
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2002 07:39:14 GMT

Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>So, trying to get to the point, my concern is that the Gump
>>descriptor can evlove with respect and cooperation with the
>>Centipede and the Forrest communities.
>
> And with the Maven community as well.

+1

> They seem to be interested from
> time to time ...

 From what I see they are, I have seen genuine interest.
Maven has a reactor that works similarly to Gump, but is (ATM) IIUC to
Mavenised projects.

> One of the worst things today that can happen to an Ant committer is
> to wear the "I broke the Gump run today" T-Shirt.  If bootstrap-ant
> fails, all other things will be yellow.

<hehehe>

> I'd expect that breaking the Gump descriptors would be equally
> embarrassing.  Changing the descriptors in a way that is backwards
> compatible may affect Centipede or Forrest, but then again you will be
> there to ensure that doesn't happen.

Yes, you are right. (confidence++)

>>But some have said that they will not partecipate on Jakarta
>>Commons, because of the massive quantity of posts on that list
>
> I can understand this point.

I think it's quite important.

>>and because they feel uncomfortable in that environment.
>
> Would the environment be different on a gump-dev list with the same
> people interested in Gump?

Hmmm... good point.

IIUC it's about having non-really interested people lurking in the
background and taking part in the discussion by backing one or other
part just making noise.
Dunno though, personally I work quite well there from this POV.

>>We also have concerns about the drastic changes that could be taken
>>on the descriptor format, and don't want it to happen and break our
>>efforts to use Gump descriptors in day2day builds in Ant.
> >
> Gump is all about early warnings and backwards compatibility.  Well,
> not "all", but you know what I mean.  I wouldn't expect that to
> change.

Ah, ok. (confidence++)

(NOTE: Essentialy his boils down to posts from Maven developers that
said they will propose the Maven descriptor format as the standard one.
This will break my stuff...)

>>  - a Gump CVS module open to *all* Apache committers, but with
>>    us giving oversight on the process
>
> who is "us"?

gump-dev (I counted myself in if you don't mind ;-)

>>  - commit access given also to selected Centipede developers
>
> Commit access is earned by contribution, you know that.  The bar for
> getting voted in as a committer to Gump has been extremely low in the
> past.

Ok, I meant "selected" == "that have earned"

>>Costin, Sam, are you willing to help me in not making this
>>disruptive for Centipede?
>

> You can count me in here.

:-)

Maybe we can get a common descriptor after all...

             - verba volant, scripta manent -