jakarta-alexandria-dev mailing list archives

From "Andy Pruitt" <rapru...@earthlink.net>
Subject XMLDoclet in use?
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2002 17:53:23 GMT

I've been looking at a couple of the options for producing XML JavaDoc (to
feed to my XSL-FO stylesheet to produce paginated JavaDoc output).  It seems
that the two most popular / well known  options are the Sun XMLDoclet and
the (peripatetic) XMLDoclet that is here at Alexandria.

But I'm not very enthusiastic about the sun doclet; it doesn't handle
embedded tags very well, and the source isn't available.  Although I do like
the (implied) DTD much better than the Alexandria nee Cocoon doclet.

So I started working over the Alexandria XMLDoclet, to correct the glaring
issues (can't set output file etc), but I'm finding it necessary to make
large and incompatible changes to the doclet and DTD in order to have
workable XML output for writing the FO stylesheet.

*** My question is: ***
Does the Alexandria XMLDoclet (and especially the DTD) have an established
user base?  Is it worthwhile to refactor the doclet and the DTD to make them
easier to use, at the cost of breaking any scripts that depend on the
current DTD?