jakarta-alexandria-dev mailing list archives

From robert c nix <org.apache.alexand...@rnix.com>
Subject JXR
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2002 03:04:23 GMT
Hi all,

Love the idea. I recommended a similar idea to several of my higher-ups
many moons ago and they scoffed.

I'm particularly intrigued by JXR. I worked on a xref/summarization tool
last year and am quite interested in the capabilities of JXR. I'm just
beginning to look at the code so please forgive my ignorance.

Given that this tool must potentially xref many thousands (or millions)
of files, I'm curious how you manage the symbol references without
retaining it all in memory? This was one of the issues I faced while
building my tool. I ended up creating what amounts to a symbol table of
references represented with XML. Besides just being able to run the xref
on different files at different times another benefit is that usage
information is neatly contained in a single XML file per source file.
Oh, and don't have to build the viewable xref'd html until requested at
which point i'd merge the XML and the original source into html (never
finished this).

Also, it seems the parsing isn't being performed by a parser generated
by a parser-generater (e.g. antlr or jtb/javacc). Any reason? Just
curious.

And, is there room/need for one more developer?

Thanks,
Robert