jakarta-alexandria-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JXR - I'm back (Kinda)
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2002 21:59:44 GMT
Jeff Martin wrote:
> I thought I'd drop you all a line to let you know that I've started
> fiddling with JXR2 again.
>
> For those of you who aren't away JXR2 was a proposal to re-write JXR in
> a slightly more extensible manor. The idea is to use ANTLR to parse the
> source and from this generate SAX events which you can plug into XSL to
> do the rendering (Actual as it's sax you could use all sorts of things
> velocity for instance, but that's not really on the radar).
>
> Sounds a wee bit like what robert c nix was talking about. And to answer
> his questions.
>
> JXR being use for millions of lines of code? Never really happened, and
> since it holds all it's data in memory it alway used to fall over with
> out of memory errors. Think you would need to balance things between
> memory and the file system, although if your clever you can probably get
> away with a lot.
>
> Not using JavaCC or something similar? I think the idea was to keep it v
> lightweight, although in reality it did parse over every line 11 times.
> So I'm not sure this was a good idea. Hence using ANTLR (Although I'm
> not sure if the bundled java grammar is not over kill)
>
> I've not gone very far with the whole thing yet, as I've only just
> picked it up after a year of slacking. But it does compile not and the
> test did pass before I changed them. I would check the code in but I
> don't know what my password is anymore ;)
>
> Any way if anyone's interested let me know, otherwise I'll just mooch
> along and you'll here from me in a year or two.

The author of JavaSrc http://javasrc.sourceforge.net/ has agreed to
donate it to Apache Jakarta Alexandria.

It uses a clever way of doing things in two passes to reduce memory usage.

Take a look, I think that it can be a good replacement for JXR and the
base for the new code.

:-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -