jakarta-alexandria-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>
Subject Re: JXR
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2002 03:11:33 GMT
On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 23:04, robert c nix wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Love the idea. I recommended a similar idea to several of my higher-ups
> many moons ago and they scoffed.
>
> I'm particularly intrigued by JXR. I worked on a xref/summarization tool
> last year and am quite interested in the capabilities of JXR. I'm just
> beginning to look at the code so please forgive my ignorance.

The JXR task has been reworked in Maven and works fairly well. No one
has touched the JXR code in years except me as far as I know. The output
looks like this:

http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven/xref/org/apache/maven/index.html

> Given that this tool must potentially xref many thousands (or millions)
> of files, I'm curious how you manage the symbol references without
> retaining it all in memory? This was one of the issues I faced while
> building my tool. I ended up creating what amounts to a symbol table of
> references represented with XML. Besides just being able to run the xref
> on different files at different times another benefit is that usage
> information is neatly contained in a single XML file per source file.
> Oh, and don't have to build the viewable xref'd html until requested at
> which point i'd merge the XML and the original source into html (never
> finished this).
>
> Also, it seems the parsing isn't being performed by a parser generated
> by a parser-generater (e.g. antlr or jtb/javacc). Any reason? Just
> curious.

I have no idea why. But there's a JavaCC parser in Maven that will be
plugged into the maven version of JXR.

> And, is there room/need for one more developer?

Always!

> Thanks,
> Robert
>

> --