jakarta-alexandria-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Sanders" <ssand...@nextance.com>
Subject RE: problems w/ gump
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2002 17:57:35 GMT

I am moving temporarily since my code only really knows about projects
right now.

> My feeling at the moment is that Jason is right.  Independent
> of how the code is implemented, modules come from places
> (like cvs) and contain projects.  Projects are either
> installed or contain build instructions.

I do feel that the <cvs/> element belongs in the <module/> element, but
I *hate* the fact that the project is not explicitly saying that it
depends on it.  Not all projects defined in a module depend on the
<cvs/> being executed.  This is want I want to fix eventually.

> To make things clearer, I've also been tempted to have
> different names for things which are installed (<package>
> perhaps) from things which are built (<project>).  Then we
> can build a set of parallel definitions for every project...
> installed vs built, and people can construct their profiles
> and/or workspaces based on their choice.

I totally believe that the <package/> element should exist.  It is a
complete subset of project, correct?  I think it should be explicit that
a project can depend on it, but it is just a resource to be used, and
has no dependencies itself correct?  +1 on changing the name.

> > I was also thinking of two possible adjustments to the
> script element.
> > Why 'force' a project to have a .sh script?  Perhaps we could drop
> > that hard-coding in the bash.xsl file so any type of script
> could be
> > used.
>
> I only use this in one case... bootstrapping ant.  In the ant
> cvs there are two files "bootstrap.sh" and "bootstrap.bat".
> Since I build on both platforms, the project definition says
>
>    <script name="bootstrap"/>
>
> And the bash.xsl and win2k.xsl add the appropriate suffix.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> > Also, what about having another attribute which would allow for
> > arguments to be passed to the script in a similar way that a target
> > can be passed to ant.
>
> Cool.
>
> > I adjusted my copy of Gump to do both of these in order for
> it to work
> > here and all was well.  I can send you the simple patch if
> you'd like.
>
> Patches are always welcome!
>
> - Sam Ruby

Cheers,