jakarta-alexandria-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Sanders <sand...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New proposal - Vindico
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2002 18:45:19 GMT
On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 11:37:00AM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> From: "Scott Sanders" <sanders@apache.org>

> I did a new task for Cocoon2 that gets current pending patches from Bugzilla
> and sends a nag to the cocoon-dev list with the current live patchqueue. It
> also updates the Cocoon documentation, and can be made to update the site
> automatically. You can find it in current xml-cocoon2 and can call it with
> build -try -Dtry.target=patchqueue-notify. It's defined in
> tools/build-t.xml.
> I think it would be cool to incorporate it in daily builds.
> I'm willing to help on the "massaging" of the log files.

Cool.  I will look at the Cocoon stuff.

> > > Care to give an overview of what works and how?  Starting with a
> bootstrap?
> [...]
> >
> > The basic path is:
> >
> > Get from CVS to a 'pristine' directory (checkout if new, update if already
> existing)
> > Copy cvs files to the build directory and invoke the build.
> > The build does it thing, meanwhile everything was logged to xml files that
> can then be styled anyway we want, ala Gump.
> > Then we start the fun things like javadoc, hyperlinked source, etc...
> >
> > I intend to run ant in debug mode using an XMLListener, so that EVERYTHING
> is in XML, so XSLT or Anakia can transform it.
>
> Here is where I could come in. Could you please put somewhere an example of
> the output of these builds. You see, I'm not so keen on running the whole
> thing from a 56k (40k real) modem ;-)

I hope to have something up in XML format in the next couple of days.  I will send you a URL.

> > then the fun stuff.  Do stuff like JXR using JavaML to create browsable
> hyper-linked source code, JavaDoc that lists what projects use what class,
> pretty graphical dependency graphs using something like Graphotron (sp?),
> and code audits and metrics from the output of the JavaML xml files.  Maybe
> even source code beautification according to the Elements of Style.
> BlameLogs to help Gump pick who is responsible.
>
> I have a charting component in java I could donate.

Excellent.  Perhaps you post the code somewhere so we could take a look?

> > And that is just what I have thought of so far.  But it is a *lot* of
> work, so I need a *lot* of help, that is why I am querying the list for
> help.  Vindico runs right now, but only does the basic cvs get and build
> scenario.  I am going to keep building, and then we can see where we might
> end up doewn the road...
>
> I'm here ;-)

I will try to get the xml files posted to the web ASAP.  Welcome!

Scott