jakarta-alexandria-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: jakarta-alexandria/proposal/gump/perl cvslogin.pl
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2001 03:01:07 GMT
John Morrison wrote:

> Well, that saves me the effort of doing it ;)  Guess what I was going to
try
> and find the time for...

Sorry about that.  ;-)

My current burst of activity is geared towards getting gump to the point
where more people may be willing to try it out for themselves.

The front end processor can combine, collate, and sort all of the
definitions that feed into a full gump run into a single XML file in under
ten seconds on a relatively modest machine.  That definition contains all
of the information needed to do a build efficiently - all paths and
dependencies have been resolved, a build order has been determined.

One could even imagine a build tool that operates directly from that
form...   ;-)

My next bit of experimentation, however, will be towards replacing the time
consuming deletes and copies with an optional use of a tool like rsync.

- Sam Ruby