jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Thomas Mueller <muel...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: How does Jackrabbit compares to Elasticsearch
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2015 08:26:42 GMT
Hi,

>2. You really really want a folder hierarchy.
>(I say #2 as .5 because I believe tagging fills this need, so who cares
>about folders?)

There are some additional reasons to use folders (web URLs are
hierarchical, file system are).

>The other things Jackrabbit brings to the table like versioning, locking,
>restrictions
>can be implemented in very little time from scratch.

Well, unfortunately that's not always true, depending on the use case.
Otherwise, Jackrabbit would be a lot simpler...

Compared to Elasticsearch. Well as far as I know Elasticsearch is about
search, and lacks typical "database" features like cross-document
transactions. MongoDB and other NoSQL storage are probably closer to a
regular database, but also typically lacks that (plus fulltext search).
Compared to relational databases, Jackrabbit has fulltext and mixed
(property and fulltext) queries, unstructured / semi-structured content.

And of course, Jackrabbit is open source :-)

Regards,
Thomas